Monday, January 12, 2009

Reality Check

Cade LOVES spending time with both sets of his grandparents. And we are very lucky for them to be close by so that he can.

Yesterday, Cade spent all day after church with Jim's parents. He had a blast--and I am sure they did, too, but they did look a little tired when we went to pick Cade up. Jim and I had a nice afternoon together--able to run some errands, etc. without a two-year-old in tow.

However, I think Cade is getting a reality check today. By 7:10 this morning, I knew Cade was already regretting coming home. I have a hunch that Cade may get away with a little more at Grandma's house than here--and I am sure he gets undivided attention there while at home I have laundry, etc to do. I am apparently mean. You want to see how mean I am? I made him do things like turn off the TV in the room we were leaving...get dressed and have his diaper changed...eat breakfast...HORRIBLE! I know! I am just so mean. I can't help it.

It makes me feel better to know that my brother is a "tyrant" (check_out_post_here). Makes me feel not so alone. Apparently we are both good at "torturing" our children.

Cade was having a fit as I put him down for a nap. We read SIX books and then he read them to me. This was a 25 minute process. It was time for him to sleep. But instead of tucking in quietly and giving into the sleep that was making him grumpy, he screamed and flailed. I finally got him tucked in and quiet and he was out in like 1 minute. Jim had come upstairs to attempt to help and we had this conversation:

J: What is he so upset about?
Me: WHO KNOWS?
J: (still waiting for more explanation)
Me: HE HATES ME?
J: (still just staring at me)

That's how I feel today. That my child hates me--or at least hates everything I do--and make him do. Must be doing something right if that is the case, right?

1 comment:

K said...

It's always hard when your kids get mad at you or say you are mean or that they don't like you. But you are right, that means you are doing a good job. Sometimes being Mom/Dad means being the bad guy. If only our children knew that it hurts us too.

FeedBurner FeedCount

About Me

A wife and mother of one sweet boy who I affectionately refer to as my little monkey shine...