Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Spinning Wheel...

I got fabric while in Hawaii.

Mom pointed out that my living room is kind of dark now with dark brown furniture and curtains. She suggested getting some fabric to make some throw pillows to brighten up the room a little. So while in Hawaii, I found some beautiful Hawaiian fabric to make the pillows.

I was excited to get started on them so I was bummed when Mom and Dad had to leave to go to NY. I thought to myself...I can do this! I have made a couple of pillows with Mom. I know the basic concepts. I became anxious to get started even though Mom wasn't here to help me. So Cade and I ran to JoAnns to get the pillow forms and plain fabric for the pillow backs.

We headed over to Mom's and let ourselves in. Cade ran around out back throwing golf balls while I cut the fabric. I got out Mom's sewing machine. I made sure everything was set the way it always looks when Mom sets it up.

I lift up the foot, place my fabric, lower the foot back down. I press down on the foot pedal to make the sewing machine sew. It sounded like it was working! I was so excited! I went forward several stitches then back to make a good strong corner...I went forward again and after a few seconds realized that it was NOT working. I looked at my fabric and there were holes from the needle, but it was NOT sewn together. I removed my fabric.

There was a huge knot of thread coming up from the bottom of the machine. How did that happen? Who knows? So, I thought to myself, I can fix this. I opened the secret doors and pulled parts out that I am not sure are supposed to come out. Then, I couldn't get them back in. I started to panic at this point. I tried to remain calm while putting the sewing machine back together all while keeping one eye on my child who was wandering through the house.

I got the parts that I removed back in and fixed the thread that comes up from the bottom. I thought that I would try it one more time. Everything looked good. I got my fabric ready to start, pressed the pedal to go and...

SNAP!

I stopped immediately. What was that noise? It was the plastic rod that held the spool of thread snapping off! I was horrified. In fact, I am still horrified.

I am apparently more than sewing machine deficient. I just should not touch them. Every time I do, something goes drastically wrong. So, I am thinking that I might offer Mom some money to finish (okay...start and finish) my pillows. It would be better for my pillows...and obviously a LOT better for her sewing machine. Which I may have to replace. Or super glue.

3 comments:

K said...

I know exactly how you feel. I'm completely sewing machine deficient too.
Wow, we really are soul mates! :)

Blade said...

Too funny.. there is a reason I don't go anywhere near those things. Evil I tell you.. EVIIIIILLLLLLL.

Good luck with your pillows. :D

Jennifer said...

Come here and I'll teach you to sew! We can make anything you want. Plus Mom has really really really cool sewing toys and as much fabric as a store!

FeedBurner FeedCount

About Me

A wife and mother of one sweet boy who I affectionately refer to as my little monkey shine...