Tuesday, September 30, 2008

The Broken Nuk

Well, I have been putting it off long enough.

If the pediatrician had her way, Cade's pacifiers would've been gone by the time Cade was 1.

The pediatric dentist was not so pushy, but said that the longer we wait to take it away, the higher the orthodontist bills will be later.

So, I stopped making excuses and just did it.

My plan was to slowly wean him off by poking holes in it so it would be less and less satisfying. The first night I poked a hole in the pacifier with a safety pin. Since Cade was going to my Mom's the next day for baby-sitting, I called her to do the same.

Apparently the hole I poked in the pacifier was not big enough since it didn't seem to deter Cade's use of it at all. However, the hole my Mom cut in the pacifiers at her house was visible.
So, I ran home before work and cut more of the pacifier off since I didn't want to be inconsistent between nap and bed time.

Needless to say, Nana and Cade had a rough nap. Cade was brokenhearted that his Nuks were broken. He fell asleep crying and woke up crying.

So, that night, when I put Cade in his crib, he knew right away they were "broken". He didn't even want them in his crib. I had to take them out of his room and put them in the trash. That does NOT mean he was happy about not having them. It was a tough night. I was such a sucker and let him have the portable DVD player in his room with Nemo on so he could fall asleep. When he woke up he would moan and say, "Mama". It was sad. Then, he was awake at 5:15am since between 5:30 and 6:30 was his usual "lounging" time where he would drift in and out of sleep and have his Nuks and play with them.

Tonight he whined for a while. But, he is so tired that he could only complain for about five minutes before he passed out. I am hoping tonight is better than last night!

Wish us luck!

No comments:

FeedBurner FeedCount

About Me

A wife and mother of one sweet boy who I affectionately refer to as my little monkey shine...