Friday, October 17, 2008

I Survived!

What a day.

It started early with a trip to the lab.

Remember me complaining a few days ago about having to go for a three hour glucose tolerance test? Well, I decided just to suck it up and go today. So, I convinced Mom to come and keep me company since Jim was home with Cade.

I didn't realize before that this test included a fasting blood test and then a test every hour for three hours. Okay...you saw what ONE needle stick did to my arm last week...and now they were going to do FOUR in one day?! I went to a different lab this morning...and everyone was really good--and used butterfly needles on me which my small veins need. So, the four sticks I got today were much better than the one last week. Still not fun, but I survived. The waiting was the hard part, but Mom was good company. So was the man who kept making the most awful snorting noises trying to suck snot back up his nose. When that failed to work after the first 50 snorts, he resorted to trying to blow his nose. LOUDLY. It was so gross it was almost funny.

Mom and I grabbed lunch to bring home to eat with Jim...and found Cade asleep on Jim in the recliner. I was kind of confused since Cade always naps in his crib...and generally prefers space to stretch out and sleep. Jim said he wanted to snuggle..that he was warm....and that he didn't eat lunch. So I picked him up to try to get him upstairs and his little body was HOT! He woke up when I moved him, so I grabbed the thermometer and his fever was over 101. I got some Tylenol in him...and apparently that and his little nap perked him up enough that he ate some lunch. But after a few hours of Cade continuing to burn up and be totally fatigued...and a strange rash on his chin...I decided to take him into the doctor.

We got into the doctor...there his fever was 102.6 (and that was after taking Tylenol) and he was miserable. Doc said he has Hand, Foot, Mouth Disease! Lovely. So it is viral...and there is pretty much nothing you can do but let it run its course. Remember, I thought he had this back in May. IT'S BAAAACCCKKKK!

Cade fell asleep on the couch as soon as we got home from the doctor. He was out! He slept hard for over an hour...before he rolled off the couch. I was afraid he was going to do that, so I had put pillows on the floor. I knew he wasn't hurt, but that is enough to wake you out of your sleep and make you cry! He just wanted to "snuggle" all night.

He is now asleep in his crib. And I am hoping the ibuprofen I gave him before bed lets him stay there comfortable most of the night!

1 comment:

Blade said...

Poor Caden. You are just getting all the sickness out of the way early on. By the time he hits school he should be immune to everything under the sun :P

Miss you guys.

FeedBurner FeedCount

About Me

A wife and mother of one sweet boy who I affectionately refer to as my little monkey shine...