Tuesday, September 18, 2007

To Believe in Miracles...

The Recipe of a Miracle

  • 1 cup Tension
  • 2 cups Stress
  • 1 teaspoon of Guilt
  • 2 heaping cups of Limited Time
  • 3/4 tablespoon of Urgency
  • A dash of "No Other Choice"
  • 3 heaping cups of Faith

    Fold Ingredients gently into a bowl. Mix vigorously and add a few tears. You'll sweat a little as you knead the dough. Pack it firmly between your hopes and dreams and form into a perfect little ball. Sprinkle it with a little faith, rolling the ball in the flour until fully covered. Place it under a veil of belief and allow it to rise. Put it in an oven that has been pre-set at the perfect temperature for the heat of trials and tribulations. Allow it to brown under the warmth of God's love. Remove after due season and allow to cool in the confidence of His promise. Garnish with your praises.


    Miracles…do they really happen? Am I so pessimistic that I can’t believe that they might? I try to convince myself that I am not pessimistic, just realistic. In an earlier post I spoke of my friend dealing with the diagnosis of Trisomy 18 chromosomal disorder and heart defects in her unborn baby girl. I sent her an email reminding her that I was thinking of her and praying for her and her family. Her response to me was this:

    “Anyways, through all of this I have become much stronger in my faith, and I believe that God answers prayers and performs miracles. He did it numerous times throughout the bible and he is the same God today as he was back in Bible times. So please have anyone who would be willing to help us pray for a miracle in our little girl Brielle's life so that she will be born perfectly healthy with no signs of Trisomy 18 and no heart defect. My prayer is that she will be a living testimony of God's awesome power and maybe save others through all of this. That alone would make all of this worth it. So please continue to pray and BELIEVE with us.”

    Believe. Believe in the possibility of a miracle. It is unfortunate for me to admit, but it is hard for me to believe that this baby has a chance of being born perfectly healthy. It saddens me to think that I am lacking the faith to believe that God performs miracles. I brought it up to my Mom. She started to tell me about the book When_Bad_Things_Happen_To_Good_People. So I looked it up. In that book, the author states:

    "Centuries ago, people found reassuring proof of God in stories of miracles. … The point of all these stories was to prove that God cared about us so much that He was willing to suspend the laws of nature to support and protect those whom He favored. But we today … are told those stories and we are skeptical. If anything, we find proof of God precisely in the fact that laws of nature do not change. … One of the things that makes the world livable is the fact that the laws of nature are precise and reliable, and always work the same way."


So should I believe in miracles? It is a hard question to answer. I believe in the laws of nature—that God created those laws and that they really are not changeable.

I will still pray for the miracle that my friend is hoping for…and pray for her strength, comfort, and peace no matter the outcome.

2 comments:

K said...

Mercy Me has a song called "Bring the Rain." The only reason I know this is because it was one of the songs at church last Sunday. It isn't about miracles but it is about walking with God through the rainy times. The words brought me a torrent of tears and an understanding of something I have felt but could never explain before.

***Bring The Rain***
I can count a million times
People asking me how I
Can praise You with all that
I've gone through
The question just amazes me
Can circumstances possibly
Change who I forever am in You

Maybe since my life was changed
Long before these rainy days
It's never really ever crossed my mind
To turn my back on you, oh Lord
My only shelter from the storm
But instead I draw closer through these times
So I pray

Bring me joy, bring me peace
Bring the chance to be free
Bring me anything that brings
You glory And I know there'll
be days When this life brings me pain
But if that's what it takes to
praise You Jesus, bring the rain

I am yours regardless of the clouds that may
loom above because you are much greater than
my pain you who made a way for me suffering
your destiny so tell me whats a little rain
***

And so I pray for you to find a way to believe in miracles, I pray for you to feel His peace, and I pray that you always cling to Him in the rain.
K
Bring the rain!

K said...

Oh, and...

HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY HAPPYBIRTHDAY!

K

FeedBurner FeedCount

About Me

A wife and mother of one sweet boy who I affectionately refer to as my little monkey shine...