Sunday, September 9, 2007

The Toddler's Creed

If I want it, it's mine.
If I give it to you and change my mind later, it's mine.
If I can take it away from you, it's mine.
If I had it a little while ago, it's mine.
If it's mine, it will never belong to anyone else, no matter what.
If we are building something together, all the pieces are mine.
If it looks like mine, it's mine.

Welcome to my world. As I sit here thinking back to my life before my little monkey, I am startled to realize how simple it was. It didn't seem so then, but it was. No schedules to worry about except my own. Sleep was generally available when I wanted it or needed it. My husband and I could go out to eat or to the movies when we wanted to. I shopped for myself...and read book after book.

Now...Schedule are a priority to keeping everyone happy. Sleep...a thing of the past. Movies are now watched at home while eating take out--praying that Cade won't wake up. Now when I shop, I buy baby clothes. Baby food. Baby Diapers. Baby toys. I suppose, I still do read. I just read The Very Hungry Caterpillar and I'll Love you Forever instead of the newest book on the bestseller list.

Am I complaining? Not for one second. (Ok, I will be honest--I whine from time to time.) But, I get to play with blocks and build towers for Cade to knock down. (Remember the toddler creed? Even if I am using them, they are HIS blocks) I get to crawl on the floor and laugh hysterically about nothing. I get to see the pure joy that comes from eating ice cream and swinging. I get to watch this little boy grow each and every day.

So, I have lost the ability to be what I was before Cade. But I have gained so much.

No comments:

FeedBurner FeedCount

About Me

A wife and mother of one sweet boy who I affectionately refer to as my little monkey shine...