Wednesday, March 12, 2008

My Favorite Song

Let me clarify...this post is about Jim's song choice...not mine!

We were in the car the other day going to dinner with my parents. Mom, Cade, and I were in the back seat while Jim and Dad were up front. Cade loves to listen to his kid's music CDs while in the car. The music is kind of horrible, but if it keeps Cade from screaming, it is worth it. Plus, he "sings" along with some of the songs, so it is cute.

I asked Jim to change the song to number 11 on the CD. It is the Erie Canal song and Mom always sings that with Cade. Cade dances along with it and is fun to watch. Jim said that I had to wait...that his favorite song was coming up next. WHAT? Favorite song? On this CD? Seriously? So, we waited with bated breath to see what song was Jim's favorite.

Kookaburra.

You know that song... Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree....Merry, merry king of the bush is he...

Mom and I laughed hysterically until we made Cade a little afraid of us. Jim tried to clarify saying that he just liked the girl's voice in that song. The girl's voice? She is probably 12! It is okay, but nothing to be excited about. Mom and I laughed harder. Poor Jim. Since he was our DD that night, he kept threatening to make us walk home since we picked on him so much.

The next song that came on the CD was I've Been Working on the Railroad. It got to the part where it said, "Some one's in the kitchen with Dinah...some one's in the kitchen I know..." I mentioned that I thought this song was about infidelity. Someone is in the kitchen, but it isn't her husband! Mom said that On Top of Old Smokey was about infidelity as well. Well, Dad heard that and started cracking up. "ON TOP OF OLD SMOKEY?!" It took my mind a few seconds, but it followed Dad's straight to the gutter. We laughed again--and harder. Cade just looked at us like we were nuts.

Luckily it isn't a really long drive to Friday's and we were there shortly after our conversation went downhill.

2 comments:

Blade said...

Too funny Sis. And don't worry Jim.. after being such a big doodlebops fan, that song is probably a step up. I heard Hanna Montana is pretty popular too. :P

You need to move to WI so I can save you from your own personal music hell. Apparently C's country and Cadens kid music is corrupting you.

K said...

I had no idea "On Top of Old Smokey" was dirty! I wish I was there for that conversation. So, what is "On Top of Spaghetti" about?

FeedBurner FeedCount

About Me

A wife and mother of one sweet boy who I affectionately refer to as my little monkey shine...