Tuesday, July 1, 2008

What the BEEP?

Why does this stuff only happen in the middle of the night?!

I had taken a 20 minute power nap yesterday. Apparently that was all I needed to take the edge of my sleep debt and keep me awake late. So, at like 12:15am I was finally starting to drift off. That's when I heard it. A loud, high pitched BEEP.

I was irritated that it woke me up. I had a sinking feeling it was one of our smoke detectors. I pulled the pillow over me head and wished it away. Willed myself to sleep. Like thirty seconds later, I heard it again. This time it was enough to wake up Jim, who had fallen asleep on the couch and he came upstairs.

Jim's first thought--half asleep himself, was to shut our bedroom door and hope the beeping was outside our room. He shut the door...and we heard the beep again. Loudly. It was definitely in our room. We figured out that it had to be the smoke detector right by our door. On our vaulted ceiling. Of course.

It is now like 12:30 and I am just laughing at our situation. BEEP. I can see that Jim is scanning our bedroom to find out what he can use to reach the smoke detector. He pulls the bench that is at the end of our bed over and stands on that. BEEP. Unfortunately, he is like six inches away from reaching it. He is NOT happy.

He storms down the stairs to get the ladder. BEEP. Jim returns with the ladder and stand up and removes the battery from the smoke detector. I jokingly say, "Remember that episode of Friends? The one where Phoebe can't get her smoke detector to stop beeping? Tell me ours isn't that possessed!"

BEEP!

How can it be beeping? The battery was removed. Oh yeah, it is hard wired as well.

BEEP.

Jim tries to reset it to make it stop beeping, but is having problems reading what it says--and since our son is asleep we don't want to accidentally set it off.

BEEP.

Jim replaces the battery--hoping that will solve the problem.

BEEP

I am laughing. Jim is visibly ticked off.

Jim removes the entire smoke detector from the ceiling.

BEEP.

He removes the battery.

BEEP!

WHAT? It has NO power. How can it be beeping?

Beep.

It sounded a little softer. Maybe it just had some residual power left in it.

Beep. Much softer. But Jim takes the smoke alarm and hides it in a spare bedroom. So if it did continue to beep, we wouldn't hear it.

Why do these things only happen in the middle of the night?!

2 comments:

K said...

That's awesome. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one with bizzare possessed things in my home. Lately the beep seems to be coming from Brandon's cell phone. He gets more calls and texts than I do. :(

3 days!

Angel said...

Mine does that every so often too. Annoys the crap out of me. And I most certainly can not reach it.

I can just see Jim stomping around. ha ha

FeedBurner FeedCount

About Me

A wife and mother of one sweet boy who I affectionately refer to as my little monkey shine...