Monday, June 30, 2008

My Addiction

I have a new addiction.

It is a TV show about addiction. Intervention on A&E. Have you seen it? It totally sucks me in. I get so absorbed in these people's lives. It is amazing to me.

Here was the summary for tonight's episode:

She sits in her garage every day, popping painkillers, anti-depressants, anti-psychotics and sleeping pills. Sandra's pill use is so bad that her two sons, 17 and 11, have left the house. Her best friend, Julie, moved in with her, and although Julie suffers from multiple sclerosis, she takes care of all the housework. Julie and Sandra's husband, Dan, ration Sandra's pills so she doesn't overdose. They know they're enabling her, but they're afraid of what will happen if they stop. Sandra's family is ready to try an intervention, but they're not sure she'll ever choose her family over her addiction.

This new episode that was on tonight caught my attention even more since this lady, Sandra, is addicted to prescription medications. Something I deal with every day in my line of work. As a pharmacist, you are constantly trying to determine which patients are legitimate and which ones are just simply abusing. It is hard. You don't want to think that everyone who gets pain medications are abusing them, but the few that do ruin it for those that don't.

I have unfortunately seen those affected by addiction to prescription medications. I have seen the people who are desperate...and the families that are hurt by it. I have had to tell people that I will not fill their prescriptions. I have been screamed at, cursed at, threatened. I have been told that it isn't my job to monitor what prescriptions people get.

Actually, that is my job. My primary job.

1 comment:

K said...

And you a phenomenal at your job.

5 days!!!!

FeedBurner FeedCount

About Me

A wife and mother of one sweet boy who I affectionately refer to as my little monkey shine...