Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Bye-bye Binky (Kind of)

Cade is very much attached to his pacifier.

Starting in the hospital, he had one of the green Soothie pacifiers. He loves his pacifiers. We called it his Nuk (after the Gerber Nuk pacifiers--that he wouldn't take) since that is what I called it growing up.

Cade always has a Nuk with him...well, he did. Two weeks ago when he got sick, the doctor really emphasized that it is time to get rid of the pacifier. It is contributing to the fluid in his ears and he is almost two. Just time.

I have been avoiding this for months. The doctor first told me to take it away when he was one. But I wasn't ready and I was sure Cade wasn't. I think it was really helpful through the majority of his teething. But, you reach a point when you know something has to change. I didn't want to end up sending my ten year old to school with a pacifier.

So, I decided to go with the two step plan. First, eliminate Nuk usage outside the crib. Then, eliminate the use at nap time and bed time. The only problem with my plan is getting Cade to leave the Nuk in his crib when he gets out. That usually leads to Cade screaming, "NUK! NUK" and crying hysterically for several minutes. Once we get out of his room and distracted by food or something, he is usually okay. Then he really doesn't think about it unless he gets put in time out. He just isn't sure how to comfort himself with out the Nuk.

So, we have survived our second day.

And this too shall pass.

2 comments:

K said...

Oh honey, I feel your pain. I remember very clearly (and loudly) what it was like when took Gabe's Nuk away. It was a long process. That kid had them stashed everywhere. Each time I thought I had them all thrown away he would come out with another one.

My love and prayers go out to you in your time of need ;)

2.5 weeks!!!!

Angel said...

I know it will be just fine. I am here to listen during your times of pain :)

FeedBurner FeedCount

About Me

A wife and mother of one sweet boy who I affectionately refer to as my little monkey shine...