Sunday, June 15, 2008

In The Night Kitchen

At the baby shower for Cade, each guest was asked to bring a book to begin Cade's own library.

He got such wonderful books and most of them have something written in the front by the person who gave him the book. It is so special and meaningful. To this day, books are one of Cade's most favorite things.

One of the books he got was "In the Night Kitchen" by Maurice Sendak. It came from a neighbor and friend of the family who is an English major and was a professor at a local college. I figured with all of her expertise (and having had three kids of her own) this must be a great book.

To be honest, this book was a little strange to me. The story is well, different? Okay, a little weird in my mind. But, the thing that really distracted me was the illustrations of the naked Mickey. And his little penis.

I guess I was shocked. I am not really that much of a prude, I don't think anyway, but seeing how this was a children's book, I wasn't expecting to see Mickey's peepee (as Cade calls it).

Here are some of the pages from the book. This is not the whole story, but you get the idea. I know...you just want to see the pictures.


This is where Mickey almost gets baked into a cake...and has to fly to the Milky Way to get milk.
Hmmmm...strange? Yes!








I had almost forgotten about this book. Cade has a selection of books that we read over and over and over and over and...you get the point. This one was buried in the book shelf. I hadn't thought of it until I saw on a website:
Oh. My. God. Why_are_there_tiny_penises_in_My_child's book?

The post is about a different book, but reading that post cracked me up and reminded me about "Into the Night Kitchen."

Anyone else even just a little disturbed?????

4 comments:

Angel said...

That is beyond weird. But only you would find that sitting on a shelf in your house...crazy things happen to you I swear lol.

Banni said...

I love Maurice Sendak. Specifically "Where the Wild Things Are". And thought I would love "In the Night Kitchen". Until I saw the little weenies. And I too was very disturbed. Seems poor old Maurice was a one hit wonder.

K said...

I'm trying to understand why he had to be naked. Was it important to the story? Gratuitous nudity in children's books just seems a little excessive.

3 weeks!!

Givinya De Elba said...

Wow - cool! Thanks for the linky love to my crazy story about Mr McGee! I saw a few people on my stat counter coming from your page, and I had to check it out!!

Isn't Cade a little sweetie. And what's with these kids books? Whoo.

Nice to pop over and meet you, and I'm really glad you liked my poem!!

GdeE

FeedBurner FeedCount

About Me

A wife and mother of one sweet boy who I affectionately refer to as my little monkey shine...