Monday, October 8, 2007

Mommy Amnesia

I was gone only for three days.

That’s it. I met a girlfriend at Mall of America in Minneapolis for a short weekend spree of shopping, gambling, and drinking. What a great time!

I came home to glowing reports about how good Cade is and what a pleasure he was to have for the weekend. My mom told me that the only time Cade ever cried was when his ice cream was all gone, he had to get out of his swing, or when he had to stop playing for a few minutes for a diaper change. What an angel!

Apparently, while I was gone, I contracted mommy-amnesia. I had forgotten how frustrating it can be to deal with a one-year-old who can’t communicate and is demanding. I think I lost something when I actually traveled with no stroller or car seat, diaper bag, sippy cups, baby toys. I brought on the plane with me headphones, make-up, and a book. A book that I was able to read cover to cover between my two flights. It was liberating.

Don’t get me wrong. I missed Cade more than you would believe. I admit that I called my parents who were baby-sitting numerous times each day I was gone just to check on him even though I knew he was completely fine. On Sunday, I was not ready for my trip to end, but I was so ready to see Cade that I knew it was time to come home. I was so excited to see him…

We picked Cade up late Sunday night. So this morning (Monday) was the true reunion. I had forgotten in those three short days that :
Cade gets up early.
He wants things when he wants them.
He doesn’t like the word no.
He will cry and scream when you tell him no.
Teething is no fun.
When he is tired, he is no fun.

What I remembered—and was reassured of today is that:
Cade gives great big sloppy kisses that are wonderful.
He snuggles.
He is sooooo adorable.
Reading books with Cade is one of the best things in the world.
He really is an angel.

I guess I just didn’t transition fast enough back into Mom mode. Tomorrow will be back to normal!

1 comment:

Angel said...

Your a wonderful mommy. And even wonderful mommies need to get away and have moments of lapsed memory. Its ok. Besides you have one of the most wellbehaved children and gorgeous boys I have ever met. :)

FeedBurner FeedCount

About Me

A wife and mother of one sweet boy who I affectionately refer to as my little monkey shine...