Tuesday, January 22, 2008

In the In Between Stage

Sometime during the next month or so, your toddler may begin to protest his morning nap. This could be a difficult time for both of you, as one nap isn't quite enough but two are too many, making your toddler so well rested that he doesn't want to go to bed at night.

Difficult? I would have to agree. This transition is one of the hardest things we have had to deal with so far. (We are lucky, I know.) I like to plan, and it is frustrating to not know what Cade's schedule will be--some days he needs two naps, sometimes just one. Then, sometimes I will notice he is ready for a nap kind of early, so I put him down for a "morning" nap...and he will sleep for an hour, then not take an afternoon nap. Like today. He slept from 10:30 to a little after 11:30. So, at 3:00pm I put him down for his afternoon nap. He played in his crib for 45 minutes. I watched him on the video monitor and he never once closed his eyes or looked like he was going to fall asleep. So I got him up. Made for a kind of long evening since he was exhausted then at 6:30 when we were eating dinner.

I was hoping (obviously I was delusional and living in some fairy-mommy land) that around 18 months, Cade would just miraculously one day stay happy and awake until 12:30 and then would nap from like 12:30 to 3:00. And that would be our transition from two naps to one. Apparently, not going to happen like it does in my dream world. Oh well. We will survive. One day at a time!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

He'll give up his naps when he's ready and not before. Besides, napping five or six times a day is how I get through life. Just ask my residents.

FeedBurner FeedCount

About Me

A wife and mother of one sweet boy who I affectionately refer to as my little monkey shine...